5. Selflessness: Our little neighbor, who shared her birthday toys with children at a local shelter.
4. Generosity & discretion: Strangers help blind man to keep his aging guide dog. NYC resident Cecil Williams had expected he would soon have to give up his faithful companion, Orlando, as his insurance doesn’t cover a non-working service dog. In December, Orlando helped save his master’s life when Mr. Williams fell on to the tracks of the New York subway. Donors covered costs to ensure the pair stay together.
3. Grace: Nine-year old swimmer presents championship trophy to his rival. Florida boy Josh Zuchowski won five gold medals at an annual swim meet – and gave his trophy to Reece Branzell, who was in hospital with an infected hip. Josh’s note read: “… I have looked up to you since I was seven. You were an inspiration for me wanting to swim fast. I would rather get second with you at the meet then win with you absent. I won this trophy for you today …”
2. Compassion: At Nelson Mandela’s funeral, the touching image of his widow, Graca Machel, and his former wife, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, comforting each other in their loss.
1. Non-judgment: Pope Francis inspired many when he asked, “..who am I to judge?”
What image stands out for you this year?
As we say goodbye to 2013, I’d like to thank you for your support. Your warmth, insight and encouragement, both on and off these pages, has been a lesson in grace for me. Here’s to a joyful 2014 for us all!